Volunteering for VMR
Are you interested in volunteering as an active member of VMR Whitsundays? We would love to have you as part of our team!
Fundraising, boat maintenance, event management etc
If you would like to assist in these areas, please email email@example.com and tell us about your interest and expertise.
Volunteers are trained and mentored to monitor the radios at VMR Base, providing valuable communication channels for boats in distress and other emergency services. Our Radio Base is open on weekends only.
- You can request a time slot to suit your availability on a monthly roster system.
- You must have (or be willing to undertake) studies in Radio Operations.
If you would like to assist in this area, complete the registration form below and tick the box ‘Radio Room’.
If you would like to volunteer as boat crew for our two rescue vessels, there are a number of important considerations.
- You need to live within 20 minutes of Coral Sea Marina, as often the speed that we take to depart is crucial.
- You will be expected to commit to regular training sessions on our boats – these are scheduled on Thursdays at 4:30pm.
- You will be required to complete additional courses such as Radio Operations, First Aid and Shipboard Safety Skill Set.
- Attaining Active Crew status (going out on activations) requires attendance at a minimum of 6 training sessions. There is a 3 month probationary period.
VMR is part of Queensland Emergency Services and our vessels are working boats. Before applying, it is suggested that you consider whether you are prepared to make the time commitment and fulfill the mandatory process requirements (induction, health declaration, training etc).
I’m interested – what next?
Please complete the form below and you will be enrolled in our online Induction and notified by email. This Induction will take approximately 1-2 hours and will give you a ‘bigger picture’ overview of VMR.
Once complete, you will receive a phone call to answer any questions and explain your next steps.
Additional Boat Crew FAQ
Q: Do I need to have prior boat knowledge?
A: Experience is ideal but not essential as we provide all training.
Q: I have work and/or other commitments. Will this be an issue?
A: We use an online app where you would be in charge of your own availability as boat crew.
Q: I work away on a rotating roster. Is volunteering still possible?
A: Yes….see above point. You would mark yourself available only when you are in town.