As shown on the wind roses, the predominant wind direction in our area comes from the S.E. quarter. The roses show annual average wind speed and direction at 3pm and 9am.
Check the BOM site for the averages for the dates you will be here. It is often said we don’t have a wind forecast, we have a recording. Having said that, even though our weather is quite predictable, it would be irresponsible to become complacent and forget to check the weather before leaving port, every time.
The Charter boat Operators read out the latest weather forecast in the morning and afternoon, every day, on VHF Channels 81 and 82.
Don’t fret about the Cyclone season. It’s very rare that we don’t get at least 5 days’ notice of a big storm so you are very unlikely to get caught out.
For up to date weather in the Whitsunday region we recommend visiting the following websites
Bowen to St Lawrence – Bureau of Meteorology
Qld Weather and Warnings – Bureau of Meteorology
QLD Weather Radar – Bureau of Meteorology
Current Observations – Bureau of Meteorology
Detailed Landbased Weather – Elders Weather
AIRLIE BEACH WEATHER
- Airlie Beach Forecast
QUEENSLAND WEATHER & WARNINGS
- 08/21:13 EST Marine Wind Warning Summary for Queensland
- 08/11:14 EST Severe Thunderstorm Warning – Southeast Queensland for Ipswich, Scenic Rim and parts of Logan, Somerset, Southern Downs, Lockyer Valley, Brisbane City and Moreton Bay Council Areas.
- 22/15:50 EST Marine Wind Warning Summary for Queensland
- 22/15:07 EST Severe Thunderstorm Warning – Southeast Queensland for parts of Ipswich, Gympie, Logan, Scenic Rim, Sunshine Coast, Noosa and Moreton Bay Council Areas.
CLIMATE UPDATES & OUTLOOKS
- Rainfall and temperature outlooks